Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The History of Nations: Japan Post 1

After the crisis in Japan, I wondered how the economy would hold, and how the damage has affected the daily lives of people living there. I then realized that I knew nothing about the social, political, or economic factors of  Japan. Nor did I have any knowledge of the nation's history. Fortunately for this term, our ROAR selection consisted of finding a book about the history of our favorite (or most interesting) subject. I chose "The History of Japan" because it is a great example of how I could learn more about the country's history, as well as it's people, and it's culture. If I can understand the nation's history, it might help me understand a bit on the nation's current events, and maybe even the affects of war, or crisis like the earthquake, Tsunami, and radiation, and how they affected the lives of people in history, as well as current times.
What I am most interested in learning is the historical culture of the nation, as well as it's economy, as well as how they have been established. By reading this book I have learned that the geography of Japan is beautiful, as many of it's islands consist of lush forests, as well as complex society. However, despite it's beautiful geography, Japan suffers from horrific earthquakes almost daily. This is because Japan's territory (Geography) lies in volcanic terrain.
(Quotes) " In 1995, an earthquake in the port city of Kobe killed more than 5,000 people,and left over 300,000 people homeless" (Japan 13)

Reaction: This revelation in history helped me realize that despite the intensity of the earthquake that occurred recently, it was not the only disastrous quake that happened there. I had no idea that Japan was so "Earthquaqe Prone"

No comments:

Post a Comment